Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fun With Spam (Revisited)



I’ve been repeatedly getting the funniest e-mails in my inbox the last few months. I finally figured it out with the format of the subject line used for this one from diederdeningval@gmail.com:

.....Subject Line: **F\/(k Y()u!** [[I know where you live]]

.....E-Mail Body: I know where you live. 4488 Heem Street, Ladd Illinois, 61122. Fear me! I will pound you when you least expect it!
(when your finished reading this post, click here for more about the above address)

Yea, I know, this e-mail doesn’t seem particularly funny by itself so let me give you the history behind it. On the AA’s Guitar Page, I wanted to write a funny blog entry about spam e-mail. So here’s basically how it went.

“I get a ton of spam e-mails everyday, and so do a lot of other people that I now have the e-mail addresses for thanks to the spam I received. So I decided that just for kicks, I would send an e-mail to all the thousands of other people that received the same spam e-mails that I did. In that e-mail I asked them to join the multitudes of people who want to end spam and reply to every spam e-mail with the following message:

.....Subject Line: **Warning** [[Incoming Spam Detected]]

.....E-Mail Body: Attention spammer, all outgoing transmissions from current ISP <#415-362-18425> must cease immediately. The equipment must be disconnected from all public internet communication networks. You have 24 hours to relinquish ownership of said ISP number.”


So here’s the thing. I just figured that everyone would ironically label my e-mail as spam, and blog readers would just laugh it off. Nope. Apparently, between the e-mails I sent and the people who read that blog, there were more than enough “participants” in that particular prank to have some affect.
.
It just cracks me up that these spammers received these messages and didn’t even question the fake ISP number, and then they actually unplugged their computers and canceled their internet service. I never would have guessed in a million years that any spammers would do that. I am continually shocked at the level of computer illiteracy found among so many computer users.(spell check corrected illiteracy, LOL)

No comments:

Get the RSS Reader

Subscribe to this blog by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage