Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Cult of Irrationality

It was pointed out to me that the last post and others in the Westboro Brainless Cult series may not make sense on their own. So I have decided to post the original blog entry from the old blog that started my estranged relationship with the WBC in order to make them more clear. If you are encountering this series for the first time and are planning to (actually) read the whole series, then I recommend that you read this one before clicking on the 'Letters to the Westboro Brainless Cult label' and reading from bottom to top to get the full story.





There is this church from Topeka, Kansas called the Westboro Baptist Church, or WBC for short. They are led by this guy Fred Phelps who is supposed to be a reverend, but I just can’t bring myself to refer to this guy as a man of the cloth. He just doesn’t exhibit the manner and decorum of anyone I would call a Christian. Fred and his deranged followers have created a website called God Hates Fags.com, and as the name suggests, it is basically a way for them to bash gays and make it look like the Godly thing to do. But seriously, I don’t really mind the gay bashing part of the website. It’s the fact that they associate themselves with Christians that I don’t like.

This church has also shown up in the news over the last few years as they have traveled to different areas of the country to picket the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq. And why do they this? Because they think war is wrong? Nope they do it because they think homosexuality is wrong. Yea, I know. I don’t really get it either. So I actually sent them a serious e-mail asking if they could help me understand. It literally said: “I don’t understand. How is the picketing of funerals of dead soldiers associated with the government’s tolerance of homosexuals?”

So after waiting a couple of weeks, I decided to send them a second e-mail just in case something mysterious happened to the first one. Just as I hit the send button, I noticed that I had inadvertently used the word “fags” this time instead of the word “homosexuals”.

Now I don’t know if that had anything to do with the quick response, but it did seem odd to get a reply the very same day. Unfortunately, the reply made no effort to connect dead soldiers and homosexuality. So I still don't get it.

Here is the explanation I got along with my commentary for each point:

We picket the funerals of soldiers to warn the people who are still living that unless they repent, they will likewise perish.
I’m sorry; I just don’t get the repent or die message from signs that say thank God for dead soldiers.

When people go to funerals, they have thoughts of mortality, heaven, hell, eternity, etc., on their minds which is the perfect time to warn them of things to come.
Well unless they are bent over the coffin ready to take a big hard one up the butt, I don’t see how telling funeral goers that “god hates fags” can possibly prepare them for things to come. Besides, that would actually be preparing them for things to cum.

Is it mean, hateful, uncompassionate, etc.?
Do these dumb ass people seriously not know the answer to that?

I'm sure it is, according to your standards.
As well as to the standards of the entire rest of the world that believes in showing respect for people who have suffered a loss. The WBC disgusts me.

However, according to my standards, it would be infinitely more mean, hateful, uncompassionate, etc., to keep my mouth shut and not warn you that you, too, will soon have to face God.
It may be mean not to warn people, but don’t you think there are much better places to berate people than at a funeral? Like maybe a Neo-Nazi rally.

Good King Josiah "brake down the houses of the sodomites, that [were] by the house of the LORD, where the women wove hangings for the grove." II Kings 23:7. "And as Josiah turned himself, he spied the sepulchres that [were] there in the mount, and sent, and took the bones out of the sepulchres, and burned [them] upon the altar, and polluted it, according to the word of the LORD which the man of God proclaimed, who proclaimed these words." II Kings 23:16. After Josiah does these things, does God say "Josiah, how can you do such a thing? How can you be so hateful and disrespectful of the dead? What about the poor mourning families of these dead bones?" No! God says "And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there [any] like him." II Kings 23:25. God calls him the greatest king ever! What WBC does, in merely picketing funerals, is nothing compared to digging up the dead bodies and burning them!
Of course being the nit picker I am, I wondered what the missing verses in this collection of verses said. As I suspected, the ommited stuff gave the passage a different meaning. The meaning of the passage changed from God sanctioning the desecration of tombs to God sanctioning the destruction of cultic religions, such as the WBC.

Finally, Here is how much respect Jesus had for the funeral of an unrighteous man: "Jesus said unto him, let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God". Luke 9:60. Jesus commanded a man, whose father had just died, to NOT EVEN GO MOURN AT THE FUNERAL AND BURY HIM, but rather preach the kingdom of God. Hypocrites in this modern era, who think they are smarter than Christ, would open their mouths in amazement at Christ's lack of respect for a poor mourning man whose father had just died.
There they go changing the meaning of scripture again. This passage doesn’t say anything about the man being unrighteous. In fact, I think Max Lucado addressed the meaning of this parable of Jesus telling a man to not worry about his earthly father as a way of explaining that mankind still has God as a Heavenly Father.


So now that you are totally in the know on this series, check out the Humor-Blogs.com website and get to know some funny blogs.

No comments:

Get the RSS Reader

Subscribe to this blog by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage