Thursday, July 17, 2008

100 Beers in 100 Days - The Odyssey Begins

Welcome readers to the first installment of the beer journal for my Beer Odyssey. This journal will outline the thoughts and experiences of each new brand/style/type of beer I will try over the next 100 days. Yeah, I know. 100 days is a long time. It’s sort of like a marathon for beer drinkers. It will be a tough journey, but I think I am up to the challenge.

Day 1 - Koningshoeven Quadruple Trappist Ale




I didn’t know where to start my odyssey due to the fact that the world of beer is so dizzying in size. So, I took a hint from The Stinker, who recommended Trappistes Rochefort. As luck would have it, the exotic market I went to had virtually every beer known to man with the exception of this specific brand. So, I settled for the next best (actually only) Trappist ale they had; Koningshoeven Quadruple.

Immediately after opening the bottle, it mysteriously fizzed over the mouth of the bottle like Mount St. Helens thereby leaving half of its contents on the table. This didn’t leave a good first impression on me. Fortunately, after drinking the other $2 worth from the bottle I was much more pleased and had some better names to call those Trappist Monks. It tasted really good, and I really liked the full body and the fact that the fruitier taste is a nice change from the hops heavy beers you find everywhere. Iron Chef* said it was easy on the grain flavor and enjoyed the hint of ginger in its taste. She also thought it would go better with something other than the baked fish we had for dinner. We both agreed that those Trappist Monks have some mad beer brewing skills.
.

* The Weird Wife asked that I change her name in the blog because as she put it; “I am not weird, I am quirky”. BTW – I am not calling her the quirky wife either because I think she may not have realized how the name would sound.

Now go tie one on with your friends at Humor-Blogs.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I tried to smiley you at humor-blogs.com but it said there was a problem with your feed -- you might want to look into that.

And is that a pic of you drinking a fine Trappist ale FROM THE BOTTLE??!? You lost points with that, dude. Only drink from a glass. A fine ale needs to breathe.

Arpeggio Andy said...

See, that's why I need to do this. So I can become more knowledgeable about beer.

Get the RSS Reader

Subscribe to this blog by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage