Tuesday, August 5, 2008

100 Beers in 100 Days - So Long Germany, It's Been Good To Taste Your Beers

Day 21 - Bitburger



Here we are at our last stop on the German leg of the Beer Odyssey. A city nestled in the Eifel mountains called Bitburg. The city is home to a NATO Base, 2 Air Force Bases, and a whole lot of soldiers that love them some Bitburger. And they have shown it by making it the most popular beer in Germany. So of course, I gotta try it to see if it's "all that".

The bottle of Bitburger had been sitting in my fridge for more than a week because I really didn't want to try this one that much. I figured it would just be the 'Germany Stationed Serviceman's' substitute for Budweiser, but then I had to completely change my thoughts after actually drinking it. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling this a 10, I am just saying it's better than Budweiser. I think I've had an epiphany after drinking beer from Germany. American Lagers are only an insipid attempt to mimic those of Germany. It's pretty clear that Bitburger was the inspiration for Budweiser. A relatively fast and cheap beer with a widely liked taste appeals to many people at once. And the Budweiser people tried to copy that.

When it came time to taste the Bitburger, I decided to have my brother Dan take a quick taste of it and provide some of his usual colorful commentary on it in order to make this review more interesting. Unfortunately, Bitburger is just too run-of-the-mill for any special comment. My Brother said what I and Iron Chef would have said, It's clean, crisp, drinkable and good for everyday consumption, but that's about it. I will rate it a 5.

So go tie one on at Humor-Blogs.com

2 comments:

Jay said...

You almost make me wish I liked beer :)

Turns out though, I do like reading about it.

Arpeggio Andy said...

Don't bother with beer babe! You know dang well that vodka is better.

Get the RSS Reader

Subscribe to this blog by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add this blog to your homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage